Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Senior Director manages the operations of the Sector Committees Oversight Branch for the review of tender submissions made by Public Bodies to the Public Procurement Commission to facilitate the procurement of Goods, Services and Works in keeping with the requirements under the Public Procurement Act and Regulations.
The position is among the senior leadership team of the Commission, consequently the job holder is required to participate in matters relating to the leadership and general operational management of the Commission including:
- Participating in establishing and formulating/reviewing the Mission, Vision, Core Values and long term strategies, objectives and policies to enable the execution of the Commission’s mandate.
- Interpreting and operationalizing policy directives given by the Public Procurement Office and other regulating bodies.
He/She is also required to:
- Represent the Commission at meetings/conferences and other functions
- Lead by example in upholding the Commmission’s core values and serve, building and maintaining a positive organizational culture and corporate image.
- Establish and maintain effective professional network to advance the work of the Commission and maintain personal professional currency.
A. Management Responsibilities
- Leads the preparation and implementation of the Branch’s Corporate Plans and Budget; monitors progress ensuring performance results are shared with staff and corrective action taken to address areas where targets are missed.
- Leads the development of operating policies, procedures and standards for the general operations of the Branch.
- Participates in the design and selection of software to facilitate the procurement management process; oversees the maintenance of the database of the proceedings and decisions/recommendations made by the Branch and Sector Committees.
- Participates in the meetings of the Public Procurement Commission as required.
- Prepares/coordinates the preparation of reports required from the Branch ensuring information are presented in the required formats for respective stakeholders.
- Contributes to the development/periodic review of the customer service charter; ensures the functions of the Branch are carried out in a manner that delivers on the Charter.
- Reviews and prepares response to internal and external audit reports on the Branch and directs the implemetation of accepted recommendations.
- Participates in the preparation of the Annual Report for submission to Parliament; attends parliament as required to support the presentation of the report.
- Manages and ensures full cooperation by the Branch in collaborating with other Branches to faciltate the seamless delivery of service to applicants and approved registered suppliers as well as the execution of inter-department programmes.
B. Technical/Professional Responsibilities
- Leads the development and periodic review of an evaluation system for assessing tenders submitted to the Commission by Procuring Entities; ensures participation of key stakeholders to facilitate the creation of a system that is objective and balanced.
- Leads the development and periodic review of operating guidelines (including members Code of Conduct) and performance assessment for the Sector Committees; participates in the selection and annual performance review of committee members.
- Oversees the assignment of tender documents to the respective Sector Committees; reviews evaluation reports ensuring adequacy, completeness and clarity of recommendations made.
- Oversees the assignment and review of tender documents, submitted by Procuring Entities for values above Tier 1, ensures each submission is assessed with appropriate rigor engaging where necessary external technical resources to support the internal team.
- Oversees the review of requests submitted by Procuring Entities for approval of payments and other related matters ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Facilitates the preparation of submissions of tender recommendations to the Board of Commissioners and Cabinet ensuring compliance to established procedures and standards; attends as required by the Commission and/or the Cabinet meetings to present/defend recommendations.
- Manages the preparation and submission of response to matters under the review of the Procurement Review Board.
C. Human Resources Responsibilities
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff through effective planning, delegation, communication, mentoring and coaching.
- Facilitates the development of individual work plans, conducts Performance Appraisals and recommends training and other development programmes for staff in the Branch as required.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff and administers authorized HR activities in keeping with established human resource policies and procedures.
- Ensures staff are effectively utilised to achieve departmental objectives and enhance their professional and/or personal development.
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff within the Branch are clearly identified and addressed to ensure the maintenance of a cadre of highly motivated and productive employees.
The Incumbent is required to demonstrate the following competencies at the level established within the Competency Framework:
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experiences
- Good team building and staff development skills
- Ability to analyze and interpret information for decision making
- Ability to think strategically and solve complex problems
- Good interpersonal and people management skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Strong planning and organizing skills
- Strong customer relations skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Strategic management skills
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration/Business Administration or comparable discipline.
- At least seven (7) years’ practical experience in organizational management at a supervisory or management level in the Public or Private Sector.
- Suitable training or experience in Project and/or Strategic Management.
- A working knowledge of the Government’s procurement procedures and Legislation.
- salary range $3,564,000 - $4,236,476 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted no later than Friday, 7th August 2020 to:
Public Procurement Commission
3rd Floor, PanJam Building,
60 Knutsford Boulevard,
Please note that we thank all persons for responding, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.